The CAST Application Intelligence Platform (AIP) is an objective and repeatable way to measure and improve the Application Software Quality of multi-platform, multi-language, and multi-sourced applications. CAST AIP stores a large amount of data about your Applications and provides results through interfaces called the CAST Application Analytics Dashboard (CAST AAD) and the CAST Application Engineering Dashboard - CAST AED. If you don't want to directly use CAST AAD or CAST AED but prefer to develop a specific use case according to your business requirements, CAST AIP also provides a REST API solution. This API is aimed at programmers:
- Request CAST AIP data from the CAST Application Intelligence Platform in an easy way to build reports on your portfolio or a specific application
- Integrate some specific high level CAST AIP results into external Management Portals (Rational insight, Excel, BO, Qlickview, custom portal etc.)
- Push specific CAST AIP results into bug tracking solutions such as JIRA, Team Foundation Server etc.
- The CAST Report Generator uses the REST API to access the data it needs.
CAST provides documentation for using the REST API to access the data you require:
- REST API Reference Documentation
- a tutorial type documentation is also embedded into both the CAST Application Analytics/Engineering Dashboards and into the RestAPI.war. You can access it by using this URL:
The REST API is delivered as follows:
CAST Application Analytics Dashboard
The REST API is delivered as part of the CAST Application Analytics Dashboard (the dashboard uses it to display the results). By accessing the following URL in your CAST Applications Analytics Dashboard, you can start to use the API:
CAST Application Engineering Dashboard
The REST API is delivered as part of the CAST Application Engineering Dashboard (the dashboard uses it to display the results). By accessing the following URL in your CAST Applications Engineering Dashboard, you can start to use the API:
REST API WAR file
CAST also provides a standalone REST API WAR file which can be deployed and configured on your Apache Tomcat application server, in exactly the same way as the CAST Application Analytics /Engineering Dashboards (see Installing and configuring the CAST-RestAPI.war). This WAR does not include the CAST Application Analytics or Engineering Dashboards.
You can find the WAR file in the WARS folder in your CAST installation folder:
Once the WAR is deployed and configured,you can access it as follows (the first URL redirects to the second):
Note that you can configure the REST API to interact with a Dashboard or a Measurement Service - simply define the relevant schema name in the context.xml file when you deploy it (see Installing and configuring the CAST-RestAPI.war).
API for CAST Analysis and Dashboard Services
The following guides describe certain tables and views that can be used to extract information.
- CAST System Views - CSV
- DSS_ tables - Dashboard Service