The CAST Update Tool (CUT) is designed to bulk upgrade CAST databases. It allows the upgrade of one or multiple Management Services and their corresponding Analysis and Dashboard Services from a given version to the latest installed version. This process will upgrade all the associated databases simultaneously. The databases can be upgraded using one of the two available modes:
- GUI: Graphical User Interface (CUT)
- CLI: Command Line (CUT-CLI)
How To / Examples
The databases can be upgraded using one of the two modes:
Upgrading databases using the Graphical User Interface (CUT.EXE)
- The GUI mode of the CAST Update Tool can be launched from the short cuts present in the Windows Start menu. For example:
- Start > All Programs > CAST > 7.2 > CAST Update Tool (CUT)
- Once the GUI is launched, CUT will attempt to connect to all RDBMS/CSS that are defined in CAST Management Studio Connection Profiles stored on the local hard drive:
- The CAST Update Tool lists all Management Services and corresponding Analysis and Dashboard Services (multiple Analysis and Dashboard Services attached to the same Management Service are supported) whose version numbers are equivalent to or lower than the version number of CUT.
- The tool will inspect the cast-ms.connectionProfiles.pmx file (located in %APPDATA%\CAST\CAST\<version>) that describes connections to Management Services and will therefore only list the Analysis/Dashboard Services whose corresponding Management Services are registered in the .pmx file. The tool will list all the services irrespective of their status and version of CAST AIP (same or lower than the version being used) that are declared in the .pmx file.
- Determine the status of the Services that are listed and select those you would like to upgrade (i.e. those marked not up-to-date) using the check box. The status of a Service can be any of those listed below:
- Up to date: Repositories that are up to date with the current version of CAST AIP (i.e. the version of CUT being run)
- Not up to date: Repositories that are running in an older version of CAST AIP (i.e. the version of CUT being run) and can be upgraded.
- Invalid: Repositories that are either running an unsupported version or are incorrectly installed.
- Unreachable: Repositories that cannot be accessed (due to host RDBMS issues or other network issues)
- Invalid Connection: When CUT is not compatible with the way the database is configured i.e. the Analysis/Dashboard Service names are different from the Oracle user name used to connect to them (only for Oracle).
- Locked: This indicates that the repositories are locked - to unlock them, use CAST Server Manager and right click the locked schemas and then select Troubleshooting > Remove Locks. Once this has been done, click the Update button and validate the status of the repository.
- Use the Edit menu to determine whether the options are set correctly:
- Click the Update button in the lower right hand corner of the GUI to start the upgrade process. Upon clicking Update a confirmation window appears with details of the Services selected for upgrade:
- Choose OK if you wish to proceed, else click Cancel.
- Upon selecting Yes the below screen appears and the upgrade process starts. If you select No you will remain on the same page enabling you to make a new selection.
|Process Summary||Shows a summary of the number of updated Services along with the success and failed count.|
|Updates in progress||Displays the Services currently being updated.|
|Lower section||Displays the Services currently in the queue waiting to be updated.|
- Wait until upgrade process has fully completed.
- Once the upgrade is complete refer to the Report Status for more details about the upgrade and the status of the Services from the Summary Log:
Options available in the tool
While upgrading, the following features can be used:
|Abort||Using this button will stop the current update of the selected Services only after 'Yes' is selected from the confirmation window.|
|Cancel Queue||Using this button will cancel any pending update jobs.|
|Safety Period||Using this option you can set a time delay between the execution of two updates. This feature is found under the Edit > Options menu where we can set the period to a value in milliseconds. The minimum value for the safety period is 30000ms which is displayed by default and the maximum value can be given to any extent.|
Upgrading databases in CLI Mode (CUT-CLI.exe)
- Open a command prompt
- Go to the CAST installation directory and navigate to the CUT directory, for example: %programfiles%\CAST\<version>\CUT
- Execute the command to launch the tool in CLI mode, for example:
- Running the command above will list all the available Management Services and their corresponding Analysis and Dashboard Services (using the CAST Management Studio .pmx connection profile) along with a decision prompt.
- To continue the upgrade type 'Y' else 'N' to cancel.
- The CLI invokes one instance of CAST Server Manager for each Service and starts the upgrade.
- There is a queue limit depending on the number of CPU available. If, for example, you have a five core/CPU, and you have 10 Services, it will only launch the update of five Services and will queue the others.
- Wait until upgrade process has fully completed. On completion, Done! will be displayed.
- Please note the usage of the following switches:
|-productInstallationDir||Yes||Specifies the CAST AIP installation directory from which the upgrade will be run (i.e. Services will be upgraded to the version of CAST AIP installed to this location). Enclose paths containing spaces using quote marks.|
|-pmxFileLocation||No||Use option to specify a CAST Management Studio .PMX file. If not used, the PMX file for the current version of CAST AIP will be used. Enclose paths containing spaces using quote marks.|
|-srcDeliveryFolder||Yes||Used to specify the location of the new Delivery Folder. Enclose paths containing spaces using quote marks.|
|-srcDeploymentFolder||Yes||Used to specify the location of the new Deployment Folder. Enclose paths containing spaces using quote marks.|
|-preserveExistingAssessmentModel||No||This option requires a True or False response. It allows you to decide whether you want to preserve the existing Assessment Model (True) or use the new Assessment Model (False). By default this option is set to False (i.e. the new Assessment Model will be used).|
|-y||No||Adds a decision prompt. This option needs to be handled with caution since, if not specified, no prompt will be given and the upgrade of the listed Services will start automatically.|
Sets the number of instances of Server Manager that CUT can simultaneously launch. The default value is defined by the number of cores in the processor of the computer (one instance per core).
|-logFile||No||Use this option to output the log to file - please specify a .castlog2 suffix (you can view this type of log file with the Cast2LogViewer (see 2.1.1. Validate and Accept the Delivery). Enclose paths containing spaces using quote marks.|
Consulting the report, configuration and log files (applies to both GUI and CLI)
The configuration files and logs files are stored in the CUT directory (%TEMP%\CAST\CAST\<version>\CUT). The following files are of interest:
- The complete upgrade report: Report-06_12_2013-07_00_270.xml (Errors and upgrade status of the reports)
- The CAST Server Manager report log-database-descriptor-cb_707_sbr_sup_local-06_12_2013-07_12_919.castlog (same as the CAST Server Manager standard log).
- The Configuration file database-descriptor-cb_707_sbr_sup_central-06_12_2013-07_00_647.xml (the configuration file is used by CAST Server Manager. One configuration file will exist for each upgraded Service).